Sorry if I appeared flip, Owen.

The book is a short one of about 100 pages / 16 short chapters adapted from
Joe's 1993 lectures in France. It deals more with computational complexity or
information-based complexity which is loosely related to our general use of the
term Complexity.

I would be up for a reading group around the book that tried to get a better
understanding of the relationship of the two worlds. If we get sufficiently far,
perhaps Joe could give a lecture and disabuse of any progress we think we've
made :-)

As a flip aside, I think there is a might be a way to apply computational
complexity to define/measure boundary conditions in agent-based models. In the
case of the ant foraging abm, I think of the roles of the nests and food sources
as injecting information into the system and are a the potential source of
order. The rate at which they inject these bits of information may be a measure
of how 'far-from-equilibrium' the system is. Ie, every time step, the nest and
food patches are testing if any ants are at their location and flipping their
behavioral bit between food-seeking to nest-seeking. I'm wondering if you can
tie the computational complexity of that action and the gradient following
behavior of the ants to the macroscopic order you see in the ant path creation.
Just wild-hair speculation...

-S