I've been getting enough mail on my comment that I feel I should clarify
the meaning:

Scenario planning has been around for quite awhile, the
military/government uses of it are but a small fraction of its overall
use, it is *not* so far as I can tell a sales tool for new weapons
systems, it is simply a way of putting together coherent and contrasting
stories about possible futures in the absence of available broad
prediction capabilities.  It is not about choosing a 'best' scenario,
but in understanding what policy choices alternative scenarios may
present.  As such, to increase the contrast, alternative scenarios may
look extreme or fantastic to the outsider.   The motivation for my
comment on the articles was that I felt the authors of the articles had
misunderstood both the method and its application.  I have no problem
with the method's employment in any domain, so long as it is applicable
and done well.  That said, please don't consider me an advocate; it's
just another available tool (which does not have any necessary IT or
applied complexity component,  though now that  you got me to think
about it....).

Carl