On Aug 11, 2007, at 8:17 PM, Phil Henshaw wrote:

> Of the three main energy sources, fossil, nuclear, and competition for
> land, which would you recommend for providing exponential increases of
> energy forever, without consequences?

I'm a (modified) nuke kinda guy.

By modified, I mean the new sub-critical nuclear reactors which use
accelerator technologies to create a dual energy reactor.  The safety
is obvious: if either device fails, the total system simply goes sub-
critical.  But the wonderful gain is that they use "spent" reactor
wastes to considerably increase their yield, thus emptying the
caverns full of nuclear waste.
   http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf35.html
   http://www.world-nuclear.org/sym/1999/venneri.htm
Heck, you can even get a book on it on amazon!
   http://tinyurl.com/25nztp

But the trouble is that most folks are terrified of the word
Nuclear.  (George can't even say it!)  But its possibly the most
useful of our current high tech energy systems.  And the US could be
a technology leader in the field if we'd just try.  But I think Italy
is getting their first, followed by France.

Naturally there needs to be a LOT of diversity in energy production.
But sub critical systems offer a lot if we can rid ourselves of the
political correct disease.

     -- Owen