Yes, that's one of the tightly reasoned paths, but how do you stop growth
without wrecking everything??

-----Original Message-----
From: David Breecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:50:35
To:The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Edge: The Need for Heretics

I am frankly mystified by the conversation. No one I know of who is
legitimately evaluating the data pretends to have any certainty as to the
anthropogenic component.  The issues have to do with the likelihood of
continued warming; the effects that that trend would have; the risks and
rewards of inaction (supposing that we are a primary cause); and the risks and
reward of action (same supposition).

And I haven't seen a legitimate analysis within that framework that comes out
anywhere but here:

Act now, because if it is anthropogenic, the risk/reward profile of action is
overwhelmingly positive, and that of inaction potentially (or even probably)
catastrophic.

Surely folks don't think we need certainty before acting, especially when we
know we won't be certain until it's (probably) too late to act, if we are the
cause?  That kind of thinking could give scientists a bad name ;-)
db