From: "Günther Greindl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group" <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] When is something complex

Hi,

Mikhail Gorelkin wrote:
> Just two thoughts: 1) it seems that complexity is a more fundamental category
> than linearity / non-linearity,
 >which are parts of a sophisticated ***formal*** system;

How would you imagine a complex system which is not non-linear? I would
say that linear = proportianal relationships; non-linear -> arbitrary
functional relationships.

Not even non-linear would then imply _no_ relationships - so no complex
system.

2) I assume there are types of complexity (and, therefore, many - I mean
really many - types)
> that cannot be expressed in any formal system (beyond linearity /
> non-linearity).

You mean systems that can't even be modeled computationally? I would not
equate non-linear systems with those one can model with diff. eq. in
closed form.

>Something like Gödel's theorem. ?

How that?

Regards,