Glen,
Oops, please ignore last quip, a response to an old email having had a
couple extra beers...

My technique is for identifying where physical systems beyond our
information are located, and then how to explore them for interesting
information.  I guess the way that relates to Rosen is as what you should do
if you accept his conclusion that math is inadequate as a representation of
real complex systems.  The alternative I'm suggesting is that you let
complex physical systems represent themselves, and use the math for the
purpose of exploring them instead.  Yes... it turns the world on it's head
in a certain way, or backwards if you prefer, but it sure works better that
way when it comes to systems that distinguish themselves by developing in
individual ways along paths they find by exploring environments there's not
way to describe.  That's why I switch from a representational objective to
an exploratory one.

Phil