Oh surely Nick, I'm sorry.    I can't seem to tell when I should explain, as
I'm writing, that a kind of  'dripping' irony is intended.   If you think of
'making sense' making a self-consistent explanation, my question is whether
that automatically requires you to misunderstand things  that work because
of their inconsistencies, like environments.   When you only look at
information from the past that isn't going to change, in your own mind where
there are no alternate perspectives or differing value judgments to deal
with, the illusion of 'making sense'  of everything often does appear work.
Sometimes I catch myself and think of it as a lot of 'patches' to hide the
inexplicable parts. and even try to look back under them.

It would be nice to aim for think inclusively rather than exclusively, and
find what all the points of view have in common rather than only the last
one standing after severe criticism.    One thing that pushes me in that
direction is noting when things can be expected to *become* inconsistent,
and diverge on some presently unobservable path, for either general or
specific reasons.   Perhaps this exchange is an example of  'talking past
each other'. in making the same point.    The mental machine does such a
deceptively good job of rendering snap judgments the seem to make so much
sense to be conclusive, pure satisfying certainty, maybe that itself should
be thought of as inexplicable too!

I guess what I've been trying to raise as a subject is the kinds of evidence
in a system that signal that it is about to become in a way that is
inconsistent with itself.  and that's the systems issue that growth induced
collapse is a small part of, the prior signs of approaching change, that I
find interesting.

Phil