A robust theory would then be one that is accessible by many explanations, unifying them by showing how they could make equivalent paths through an heuristic.  It would serve to maintain open questions by allowing them to be more local.   A theory with only one explanation would be a crappy theory; mistakes would propagate more globally instead of getting metabolized more locally.

I liked Phil's second question, which I take to lead more towards using models to make sense of the present, rather than to "predict" ;
The second question is more about individual complex systems in a particular circumstance requiring one to start from the limited information that raises the question and to go to the trouble of expanding your understanding while exploring possible patterns in the environment until you find one that seems to fit.
Another one would be "who's environment?", which I think leads one back to ontology formation/niche construction.   Is it not so much that prediction is bad but rather that it is quaint for the types of questions we want/need to ask?

Carl

Phil Henshaw wrote:

Why prediction fails does not seem to be just believing your own script.. as it were.    I’m suggesting that “a theory of some sort” is generally the same thing as “a statement of what generally has happened”.     The real question may be sort of the opposite of “but who would believe such a thing?!!!!!” since believing in a theory with little or no way of checking how what is actually happening is different from it, seems to be nearly everyone’s preference.   To do the latter you need to maintain the open questions of your induction, and not cast them off as soon as you have made something useful with it.

So I don’t think it’s a “fallacy of induction” per se.     I think it’s more just that any handy tool can be greatly misused if you don’t keep asking “how does it apply here”.     There is also an all too common preference for absolutist rules that contributes to our dodging any information about how they might not quite apply too…  but I guess that’s not just a matter of clumsiness.

So, is that saying “it is so” or “it isn’t so”, I’m confused… ;-)

Phil Henshaw