I'm with Nick. Why? We have to separate understanding *architecture* from implementation.

Architectural studies look at the system from a 50,000 foot view, so that the student can understand how the whole system works.

Implementation studies look at how a practitioner would, on the job, build part of a system.

Very different issues.

I find the architectural, breadth-first approach important for students today because today's computing ecology has created silos: IT vs CompSci vs Software Engineering vs Math vs ...

I find billions of computer folks who understand only 5% of computing, but well. I tend toward understanding 50% well enough to be able to work out the other 50%.

So I'd not mind taking a class that assumed the implementation used within the class was not mainstream. That it left the student with very broad understanding of how computing works. Sure it'd be great to teach where you got both: understanding and practical skills. I'm not sure its possible.

Re: Ruby -- It really does not cut it. Great for Rails, but you have to be a web-only programmer. I think Python still wins the agile war. My experience with Django on Google App Engine convinced me that its good enough for web work.

Oddly enough, if I were trying to put together an architectural class, I just might choose Javascript! Why? Well, it really is an agile language. And it comes with a window system: the browser. Consider this: almost all modern languages do *not* come with windowing and graphics (Java is an exception). And javascript is now making both browser and server systems that are quite impressive.

So from the architectural standpoint, you get a sophisticated system that can be run locally as a shell (Rhino), as a web/client system (DOM + Browser), as a server (jaxer/Aptana), and as a general purpose scripting language (used as Flash's ActionScript, for example). It even ships with Java nowadays, and may become the scripting language of choice for Java! .. what irony!

Teaching computing is tough. It faces a near-chaotic ecology. It faces absurd bias. It faces an environment where very few practitioners understand the overall computing milieu.

So GLASS it is for now, right? I think I'd prefer Javascript, but at least I understand the struggle.

    -- Owen