Doug,

Some short answers, we can discuss further some time if
interested.
First:  the "technical" reasons C++ was not considered OO =
strong typing, friend declarations, multiple inheritance,
explicit constructors, and an over-dependence on function
overrides.

Second: subtler, but in my opinion more important, the philosophy
of the language - C++ was never intended to be an OO language.
Marketing saw some superficial similarities and jumped on the OO
bandwagon and represented the language as something it was not
intended to be. (They also worked very hard to redefine OO to be
closer to what C++ offered - their own version of Newspeak.)

C++ was intended to be a means to impose structured programming
discipline on C programmers without, in any way, interfering with
the hyper-efficient performance characteristics that arose from
being as faithful a representation of the hardware as possible.

In contrast - the OO tradition that began with Simula (not Simula
I which was already moving away from the philosophical ideal) and
was embodied in Self and Smalltalk, did not care about the
machine, did not care about efficiency, it was all about the
domain - faithful representation of same - and about
human-machine "natural" communication about that shared domain
(both humans and objects "lived" in the same "world").

C++ versus Smalltalk was an expression of an even deeper
philosophical divide between formalists and aformalists that
traces back to the ascendency of the former during the Age of
Reason.

dave

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:35 -0600, "Douglas Roberts"