Trying to reduce a high-dimensional and subjective data set to a one-dimensional well-ordered set is a fools errand.

I love hearing other's favorites and opinions of what makes a work of fiction literature and what makes one work better than another.

I think Jack's criteria here are somewhat on mark, but I don't think they can be objective nor can they be weighted against each other.

But I do encourage more submissions and discussions and apologize for my harsh review of Blood Meridian... I have to give it some good marks, but only hold it (and Cormac) to task for getting a little too much free mileage out of it's shock value. (it is so bad it must be good?).

I also appreciate Pamela's distinction of loving a book and admiring it.

Carry on,
- Steve
Hold on, y'all!

If we are looking for the "10 Best", we must start (if we are to claim any
semblance to a "scientific/technical" approach) with an agreed set of
evaluation criteria, and objective metrics to measure each. Then, we need to
develop a set of candidate literary works (where did I put my Library of
Congress?), and assess each work against each criteria. Finally, we need to
develop a relative weighting or some other approach to combine these "apples
and oranges" into a single Figure of Merit, that will determine the relative
rank. This is the pseudo-scientific approach needed for such an important
task.

To start this millennial long effort, I suggest some criteria we can add to
and flesh out:

1) Impact on our society (The Bible would likely win this one, but the Koran
would be a close second!)
2) Clarity of writing (Goodbye, Brothers K)
3) Introduction of new insights into human nature, society, etc. (Welcome
SciFi)
4) Introduction of accurate insights into human nature, etc. (Since there is
a lot of BS, ideology, and wishful thinking out there)
5) Ability to hold interest
6) Stylistic excellence (Good luck defining this)
7) Importance of ideas
8) Effectiveness in communicating ideas

I recognize there is substantial multi-collinearity (i.e., overlap) in
these; it would be good to evolve them into a more orthogonal set. So feel
free to have at it!

Jack