More complex, less complicated. Knowledge or ontology becomes more robust if it is independently *accessible*, whereas expertise is the fluidity of understanding what knowledge is most *reachable*, given some variety of current contexts. So its more topological (what's the most or least involved transformative path to make a smooth mapping from one moment to the next). Granted, one generally isn't transforming while one is grasping, but I think we refer to expertise as a kind of broad-based competency, while what you are talking about is the employment of that in the moment. Not so much choosing as appreciating the conversation by allowing the complexity to come and go. *Fluency* touches on it.