Well, hmm, ok, I'll take a stab at it. The reason it's important is that it may be the tip of the iceberg of a category of alternative biologies, ie 'if this can happen what else can' - is this kind of thing prevalent? If there are alternative biologies (or 'shadow ecologies') beyond what we have considered, then the question arises: where are they? There will be new ways for astrobiologists to look for signatures for life on other planets. Remember that not too long ago we didn't know about extremophiles or the archaea.

One other possible big thing would be, if there is a whole new category of alternative biologies (a ways to go before we can consider that seriously), and some of those are present here on earth, maybe even within us, then it's analogous to dark matter; we quite possibly don't know as much about our own biological or evolutionary dynamics as we currently think we know and a lot of current models will end up being bantha pudu. And just as extremophiles have opened up new frontiers in biotech, so will these if they turn out to be prevalent, in ways we can't conceive of yet. For example, there's coal, the burning of which yields a bunch of arsenic - if we have a bunch of life forms that like arsenic, then we have been thrown an interesting curve and our world, at least from today's perspective, may get very weird indeed. Maybe that's not saying much.

So this is one of those science surprises, that may be game-changing.

Carl