I've been using gmail via IMAP for at least five years, and haven't found it to
be bad at all, though I'm not that fond of its web interface either. I started
using gmail with Thunderbird under Windows XP, and switched to using it with
Mail.app on OS X about three years ago. I haven't had any serious problems. I
started with a whole bunch of nested folders in Thunderbird from 20+ years of
POP3 accounts when I switched to gmail IMAP.

First, set up a gmail account and enable IMAP via the web interface. Then add
the IMAP gmail account to Thunderbird or Mail.app. I generally didn't
explicitly create folders in this account, but instead dragged individual
folders from the POP3 accounts onto the gmail account. I was able to drag
folders (even heirarchies of folders) from the POP3 accounts to the gmail
account. In cases where I had folders with many subfolders (e.g. a "Friends"
folder with subfolders for each friend), I did explicitly create the parent
folder, and then dragged one or a few subfolders onto it. If the parent folder
has messages in it (e.g. in my Friends folder, I also keep messages from misc.
friends that I have had very few messages from, and so particularly want to
have their own folders), then select all the messages in the folder and
explicitly drag the messages into the newly created folder. Since IMAP keeps
the client and server in sync, this process also creates the folders on the
gmail server.

The process is slow and manual, but worked well for me. In the end, you have
nicely backed up email that you can access either from your laptop/desktop mail
app, or from any computer via the web interface. Also, when I switched to Mac,
all I had to do was create the account in Mail.app, and all the folders and
messages magically appeared (while burning up a lot of bandwidth - thanks, NCGR
for the T3 connection :-), since they already existed on the server.

I suspect the idea of lots of nested folders is pretty old fashioned (like me
:-) Gmail talks about "labels" instead of folders, which are basically tags. If
the labels have embedded slashes, its IMAP treats these as nested folders, so
you can have it both ways, although it is a bit ugly to have labels like
Friends/Santa Fe/FRIAM/Owen.

;; Gary