Interesting reaction to Esperanto vocabulary, which has no Portuguese
roots at all except to the extent that there are many Romance-language
roots in Esperanto, which were borrowed mainly from French or Latin
forms.

A large number of constructed languages including Interlingua were
simplified Latin/Romance languages designed for immediate passive
readability by educated Europeans who already knew some European
languages (even speakers of English and German know lots of Romance
vocabulary). These Latinate languages however are not easy to master
for active use (speaking and writing) due to irregularities and the
requirement of a large vocabulary to be expressive.

Esperanto is unusual in making it possible to be very expressive even
with a rather small vocabulary, thanks to its non-European mechanism
for creating new words out of invariant particles which are themselves
words. It's rather like making molecules out of invariant atoms, and
it contributes to creative linguistic playfulness.

Bruce