I believe France is a net energy exporter, quite possibly increasingly to Germany. Could you say more what this "paying dearly" business is about?

The slow moving hydro turbine thing is interesting, but I don't know of any that aren't experimental. There would of course be a gov't subsidy per kWh, as for other solutions.

Wind farms are very steel intensive (transmission lines), and of course there's the niobium mining issue, so you might want to factor those things in.

As with all of these technologies, there's the balance you have at the time you make the decision. Newer solar could be less environmentally problematic than old solar. Gen II nuclear plants are way different animals than Gen IV plants (whatever their merits), but they are lumped together as "nukes", which I think is somewhat disingenuous. I don't think, e.g. a Hyperion module is subject to quite the same arguments (pro or con) as a BWR.

On 12/8/11 9:32 AM, Paul Paryski wrote:
If everything is taken into consideration, the carbon footprint of nukes is really very high, much higher than the alternate forms of energy such as wind, solar, hydroelectric and even some thermal sources. France is paying dearly for its nukes. One of the innovative sources of energy that is being installed in Europe is slow moving hydro-turbines placed in riverbeds.
cheers, Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Holmes <rob...@holmesacosta.com>
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Wed, Dec 7, 2011 4:29 pm
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Gates discussing new nuclear reactor with China - Yahoo! News

Yeah, greenest only if you ignore the environmental/human/dollar costs of getting the uranium out of the ground and then you forget about that whole messy decommissioning component (which usually relies on the assumption that national government must ultimately underwrite/pick up the tab and is therefore free)---R

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net <mailto:o...@backspaces.net>> wrote:

    >From the "I Like Nukes" department we have new designs that look
    interesting:
    http://news.yahoo.com/gates-discussing-nuclear-reactor-china-124722465.html
    They run on depleted uranium and apparently are safer.

    Ironically, nukes are apparently the greenest critters around too.

       -- Owen