Ah, Peter, lovely story. By chance, we visited Bletchley Park on the day that the Brits returned--with great ceremony--an Enigma machine to the Poles, the people who'd first supplied the Brits with one. (We ourselves have two.)

However, my sense is that pure mathematicians look down a tad on applied mathematicians. Okay if something you discovered/invented a hundred years ago turns out to have a practical use today, but to actually invent/discover math with the hope of finding an application for it, or with the hope of having it describe some phenomena--useful, sure; but, you know, intellectually tacky.

P.