I was wondering if anyone out there had any insight on how search engines work with mixed phonetic/pictogram queries. If you enter a search in the phonetic alphabet (e.g. jp Hiragana) does it try to convert to the pictogram (e.g. jp Kanji) first and then try matches against a pictogram-based index, or does it keep the search in the phonetic alphabet and any conversion from any targets in the pictogram alphabet is assumed to have been done prior during the indexing? Or is it simply phonetic search to phonetic targets and pictogram search to pictogram targets? Or is something else going on?

I'm particularly interested in the Japanese case, but wondering about the issue generally.

Thanks,
Carl