Any smartphone OS for the foreseeable future will be free as in kittens. It would be nice if the battery were to last longer. I don't know what the the battery life is on 'standard' android, never seen one.

I use my Droid X2 pretty hard, and a days use is usually about 40% of the full charge, which is way better than other phones I've had, but I plug it in at night anyhow. If it became an issue I'd just buy a second battery.

Yes, the monthly fees are too high. What to do? The carriers will do what they feel they need to do to maintain their margins. Voting with your feet isn't necessarily a solution.

Carl