Haidt has a nice TED
talk<http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html>based
on the book.

My sense is that a lot of it is emotional--rather than rational--for a lot
of people. Nick, how did your experiment go?

We might do the experiment here. One standard way of proceeding is to
paraphrase (in as positive a way as possible) the position of the person
who just spoke. That would demonstrate that the new speaker at least
understands the position of the previous speaker.

A second approach (which does not preclude the first) is to be as honest as
one can about the emotional content of one's own position. E.g., "I favor X
because not-X makes me feel icky."

Anyone care to suggest a topic and start? Nick, Jochen, how about one of
you.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/abstract=1977688*
*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
  Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
*  vita:  *sites.google.com/site/russabbott/
  CS Wiki <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach