Nick writes:

> Larding is the
> practice of distributing ones response in the text.

Larding is not a problem, it is best practice (in my highly considered
opinion): it simulates
(somewhat) a naturally structured conversation, between or among a group of
people, on one
topic or several related topics; the most common alternative, attaching an
entire response-
post to the entire stimulus-post, doesn't simulate conversation--it simulates a
pair (or more)
of windbags lecturing to each other in sequence, or (essentially equivalently)
the dreary
academic custom (in some fields, notably the humanities) of having
"respondents" read aloud,
one after another, pre-written papers about the respondee's just-previously
read-aloud paper.

Now, hypertextual tools *might* improve larding.  I would have to see them
well-implemented to
form a considered opinion.  (My unconsidered opinion is that they'd be a net
negative.)