I just tested a bit on my iPad. I use a number of apps: Kindle, iBook,
GoodReader, Safari To Go, ...

At least the Kindle and GoodReader have an apparently unlimited ( >= 10) stack
of positions from which you did a jump. This is kind of an "undo" for
navigation; I didn't see any evidence of a "redo" operation, which you would
need for going back and forth between two positions, but setting bookmarks
would work for this.

For classics, I suggest Browse/Free on the iBooks store and
www.freekindlebooks.org for epub and mobi formats of the Gutenberg project's
books.

--Barry