With Javascript, you have the DOM built in. Which means your GUI
elements are all the stuff available in HTML (eg HTML5 canvas), but
dynamically driven from Javascript.

The only slight gotcha is that browsers tend to implement slightly
incompatible versions of HTML, so lots of testing is needed.

Cheers

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Gary Schiltz wrote:
> I'm starting to develop (as an unpaid volunteer) an application for the local
> medical clinic, and I'd like to deploy it as a browser application ("rich
> internet app"). Of course, I cold just use plain old HTML and CSS, but I'd
> like it to be much more interactive, basically like a desktop application. It
> would seem the best (for some definition of good :-) technology for the job
> would be JavaScript on the front-end (although I could do it in Java with
> Swing or JavaFX and deliver it as a JNLP app). Anyway, does anyone here have
> any preferences for a GUI toolkit for JavaScript? So far, I've been looking
> at Dojo, JQuery, YUI, Ext JS, and the Google Closure library. As I'm pretty
> new to the whole JS world, I'm thoroughly confused (maybe that means that I'm
> on the right track :-). I'd really appreciate feedback.

Principal, High Performance Coders