On 9/13/13 2:57 PM, glen wrote:
If we know this is/will-be the case, then why press for absolute transparency at all? Why not be anarcho-capitalist and allow for the opacity of some, strategically allowed, opacity?
The anarcho-capitalist will try to extract every bit of value from any vocabulary they own or influence. It's fine for them to try to do that, but it is also fine to make them obsolete. For example, GPU vendors own their hardware designs and their driver stacks. If their driver stacks are open sourced, or reverse-engineered that gives a little more insight into how their hardware works. If people know how their hardware works, then some competitor can come along and create similar hardware at a lower price point. Provided an open source effort can come along and make a sort of similar VHDL design that puts them out of business, it's all good. Most anarcho-capitalists aren't that, of course, they are capitalists, and expect public investment to be there to protect their IP for them, through copyrights, patents, and so on. The GPU vendors want an interface like OpenCL so that they can keep people away from the actual design. That's annoying, and misrepresents the concept of `open' for their own selfish purposes.
Anyway, my point here is that working at the interface level carries more benefit than cost for the same reasons that test-driven development has taken over (at least in hype) the s/w development world. I tend to view it as a "constraint based approach" to the world. Forcing absolute transparency (even if only in the ideal) seems like a low RoI commitment.
Some users can't afford to trust, and will have a very sensitive cost function. Other users have a more risk/reward structure.

Lastly, it's also important to realize that your egalitarian concept of of the diverse overlapping communities _might_ turn out to be naive or overly simple. If we think in terms of gaming, there should arise some seriously competent gamers who pool resources into a very small (and controllable) cabal that has a better understanding of the entire stack than anyone else. And, not only will the transparency _not_ assist the rest of us schlubs in keeping that cabal honest, it will _prevent_ that because the cabal can hide behind the illusion of transparency.
But it is ok if there are schlubs, if provided one chooses to be one. Membership in the cabal comes from cognitive investment, not capital.
They can always say things like "It's all on the up and up! The source code's out there. Check it yourself." ... all the while _knowing_ that without their billions of dollars in assets we normal people cannot "check it ourselves". Hence, perhaps similar to "green washing", the good gamers will use our own ideology against us.

I've worked on a variety of types of code, and I don't find I need to appeal to individuals controlling teams of people and domain experts to understand the parts I'm interested in. There's a scale free property to good codes that makes it possible to understand them. Understand the goals, inputs, the outputs, and starting building out an understanding.. If there is no source code it is much more difficult (but not impossible).

Marcus