On 9/13/13 10:32 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:
I'm going to buy a Pi and need a little info.  I've got Doug's posts:
http://things-linux.blogspot.com/2013/07/delicious-raspberry-pi.html
http://things-linux.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-second-helping-of-pi.html
.. but wouldn't hurt to pick up on other's experiences too before building a system.

- Where to buy? The two distributors on the website did not include USA. Be nice if they also had "peripherals" or kits .. see next.
I bought mine from CanaKit about 6 weeks ago. It is a B.2.0 model (latest I think).

Be sure to double check the circuitry *and* the doping on all the transistors to make sure it isn't those Canadians <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPRHXgYVlk> trying to sneak something past us! ARMs and Atmels' seem like a particularly good way to infiltrate the universe... Mobile devices, TVs, SetTops, etc. The *lower* processor count might make it easier to verify but the ubiquity of chip design/manufacturers and the *high capability* and *diversity* of the devices they tend to go into seem like they would be the ideal candidates for a hardware trojan. Have hardware trojans been found in the wild yet? (meaning have they been discovered in other than an obvious, targeted venue?). </end threadkink>

- What to buy? I'll get the upscale "B" model .. I think that's it for choices of the board. But other than a power adaptor, are there interesting addons, especially for more I/O .. i.e. goes-intas and goes-outtas & sensors? Doug's system added a USB hub and memory card.
There is the I/O pins (gazintaGazoutas) inspired (I suppose) by the Arduino. I haven't checked but I assume they don't mirror them position for position (otherwise allowing an Arduino Shield to be used?). I bought mine to upgrade from the Arduino Emma used to drive the Vacuum advance/shutter system for our Multiplex Holo Recorder, unfortunately it hasn't left the box.

- What Linux Distro? Although I use the terminal more than GUIs, I'm not as Linux savvy as I'd like. I'd prefer a fairly universal distro that I might encounter elsewhere such as on hosting services and laptops/home servers. Is Ubuntu still the favorite? One requirement if its possible is Node.js.
You must have seen the NOOBs on an SD <http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4536> already? Seems like learning/using Raspbian makes a lot of sense... I'm guessing Node.js is everywhere?

- WiFi: any success stories? I can just use ether-over-power adaptors if needed but we're pretty wireless at home. I know some WiFi dongles get poor reviews, but my TiVo uses one nicely.
One of my colleagues doing camera <http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/camera-board> testing with me uses one. I think I bought mine (Edimax EW-7811 <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1>) by his recommendation.

- Enclosure: I've seen Doug's case choice, looks great .. are there any others out there? Or is naked OK too?
Knowing your proclivities, I suggest "clear".

TIA,
On that note, you would be welcome to "break in" mine for me. It is in a box along with the USB WiFi thingy and a power supply, just waiting to be warmed up. Then you could maybe wait for model C or revision B? I'm interested in the RPi as an extended alternative to the Arduino... so if you were to wring out the gazInOutUz for me, I'd consider it a good deal!

- Steve