Whew, pretty Neil Stevenson!

One aspect that may be missed by us new to BC is the "SETI@home" approach:
You basically "rent" access to your computer to gain BCs.

I had an idea once that maybe we should give computers away, but with the
provision that you give 30%, say, of its resources to us.  You do the care
and feeding (updates, power, internet) but have free computing.

We on the other hand gain a vast computational facility, a Computer@home.

   -- Owen