On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 04:36:46PM -0700, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> On 02/24/2014 04:27 PM, Russell Standish wrote:
> >Not necessarily. Sometimes Linux on Windows is better, which I
> >have done occasionally.
> Anyway, Apple hardware uses UEFI too, so it's a non-argument to
> blame Microsoft for advocating that firmware standards should
> progress.

Absolutely. Its a problem all of us face in the IT industry. An
example from the Linux world is the move to systemd. Systemd actually
looks like a pretty neat piece of technology, and solves a number of
problems with the crufty old SysV rc.d structure, but

a) It is very poorly documented
b) It should have a facility where you can just chuck a shell script,
or add some shell commans to be run at startup or shutdown, rc.local
style.

The net effect is that it takes an inordinate amount of time to do
something extraordinarily simple.

All "vendors" have this problem, both OSS and commercial.

> And the SteamOS game platform (which is Debian) initially needed
> UEFI to run too.
>
> Darned old-timers!

Yes - some of us actually have stuff to do, rather than spend time
relearning how to do the same things we used to be able to do :).

Principal, High Performance Coders