To Roger and Nick,

That idea has been on the backburner of Biology for 5 decades or more.

The greatest problem in the 70’s and later was Statistics which tended to
dismiss anything outside of a curve.

It started after the second war when an unusual coincidence of scientific minds
started talking.

Soviets and Americans when strange Tick-Borne plagues started emerging in the
middle east, Russia, Crimea

and parts of Africa.

I was just a kid doing my first MSc when I met

Harry Hoogstraal at an Acarology Workshop at OSU. What did I know, nothing.
What the hell. He was

Jimmy Carter’s science advisor, I was told later . And the de facto head of the
NAMRU facility outside Cairo.

Anyway he was checking on students in the lab one night I was the only nightowl
and we chatted over microscopes.

He asked me what I thought happened to all the parasites of the Woolly Rhino
when it died out, it was a big source of blood in an Arctic Landscape? ( I was
working on Moose Ticks at the time)

What he was after was an answer to the stream of life question, did they die or
simply find new real estate?

I returned to Canada and only brought it up a few times usually when very
drunk, spoiling for a fight or  a real argument.

Bits and pieces accumulated over time spared from the statisticians. Then
totally ignored during all the subsequent eras of utter confusion and money
grubbing.

Mostly entomologists were the first to notice something did not fit the
consensus narrative. Then microbiologists who were asked to help out  and they
saw the same principals with better tools.

Evo-Devo made a great set of contributions not mentioned directly in the paper.

This is a disturbing topic when examined carefully. Philosophers rarely examine
parasites on carcasses of the dead,  let alone count them. They see only what
they expect.

They were always averse to the smell of science. So my answer is No not
usually. Since it stinks.

The bias appears to originate in our simple minds that can not cope with more
than 3 dimensions . A living system need not be  so limited for that matter
neither is mathematics (see Snarks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snark_(graph_theory ).

Darwin is now a relic fought over by fools. I count Dawkins among the fools, he
started out well but soon degenerated into a strange demented warrior against
Theists.

I love the discussions and even though I can not always respond I look forward
to reading.

vib