It looks to me that there is currently deep confusion around the use of both words "chaos" and "disorder" in the field of dynamical systems. Sometimes the meaning "unpredictability" is evident in that usage. But at other time the meaning "disorganization" is. These two ideas are different and very often are in need of critical distinction.

An important usage of "disorganization" is the "disunion of constituent parts". It pertains to structure, arrangement or configuration. It is a phenomenon that can be observed statically, instantaneously, without the passage of time. It pertains to the interrelationships among parts. It also pertains to the relationship of the parts to the whole. It is well-modeled by geometry, topology and graph theory. Any notion of the "degree of organization or disorganization" would pertain to how rich the interrelationships among parts are. Defining a measure for this would be challenging, and none dominates.

On the other hand, "unpredictability" pertains to chance variation, probability and even epistemology. It is defined independently from any notion of parts/whole. It is well-modeled by probability theory and stochastic processes. Any notion of "degree of predictability or unpredictability" would be subject to some matter of probabilities. In information theory, it is measured by statistical entropy and its related entropic functionals (relative entropy, conditional entropy, mutual information, entropy rate, etc.) It is worth noting that the definition of statistical entropy has probabilities as its only parameters. Thus, it is capable of measuring degrees of predictability or unpredictability, but not degrees of organization or disorganization.

Of course, the two ideas can be combined. For example, one could be interested how a collection of constituent parts are arranged, configured or organized - and how that organization changes (subject to chance) over time. (Such as particles in an ideal gas.) We could even define some kind of stochastic dynamical system wherein (instantaneous) system state could be its current organization (defined as, say, a topology), and where the Markov chains (or more elaborate conditional processes) can provide the stochastic dynamics.

This confusion further shows up in the use of "chaos" in dynamical systems. One dictionary defines "chaos" as "where chance reins supreme". But in nonlinear dynamics, "chaos" means "sensitivity to initial conditions" and is strictly deterministic. (That is, chance is banished from "Chaos Theory").

Food for thought.

Grant