Yes, looks interesting (somehow my mail client does not show all FRIAM mails,
for instance I don't see Nicks mails, I have only received Merles response?).
From a complexity science viewpoint the development in the US is interesting,
whether it will be a step back into an oligarchy or autocracy, or even some
kind of cronyism, nepotism, nationalism, imperialism or fascism, because all
these *-isms are like a cancer for society. There are all sorts of fascisms,
similar to the many different forms of cancer.
From a psychological perspective Mr. Trump is interesting too because he is
obviously not a normal politician. Narcissism is mentioned frequently as a
character
trait.http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-of-donald-trump/480771/
As a European from a continent with a troubled past I'm worried that the next 4
years will not turn out well. There will be an unpleasant wakeup when people
recognize they have been betrayed and there is no peaceful way back into a
glorified past in a globalized world. I bet there will be some kind of staged
event which will lead to the next war or a totalitarian state.
-Jochen

-------- Original message --------From: Merle Lefkoff <merlelefk...@gmail.com>
Date: 12/4/16  21:57  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity
Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Autocracy: Rules for
Survival | by Masha Gessen | NYR Daily | The New York Review of Books
Nick, thanks so much for sending this. I just sent it to one of our donors and
to my Canadian grad students and to our social network.  It's wonderfully
written, although hardly "beginning a badly needed conversation."  I think
because of Complexity science I actually did imagine the future that has
happened--starting about three years ago.  We've been organizing the ECOS
gathering for almost two years (put on hold because of the elections), and now
we're organized and ready to go.  We need local volunteers to help with the
final planning.  Let me know if you are interested.
The Center's web site is:  emergentdiplomacy.org.  The ECOS website is:
ecosgathering.org.
On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Nick Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>