-------- Original message --------From: Marcus Daniels <mar...@snoutfarm.com>
Date: 4/16/19  20:38  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity
Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Everything she knows...

With quantum annealer, one can make the distinction between logical qubits and
physical qubits.   Logical qubits can be formed from physical qubits by
connecting physical qubits by strong pairwise ferromagnetic couplings.  The low
energy
 state of a system thus (in principle) has physical qubits that are members of
the logical qubit in the same state.   That’s all fine an good for ensuring a
strong energy contrast between two logical values – and to be resistant to
noise.   However, the cost
 of that is that for that logical qubit to participate in tunneling means that
the whole set of physical qubits need to tunnel.   Think of a sci-fi story with
a gateway to another world.   You are holding hands with your family, and your
father steps through
 the Stargate.   He’s holding on to your mom’s hand but the chain be broken
temporarily (and energy can fluctuate) as he is now in a different land.   Then
she must be pulled and then your siblings.    These social genes make me think
of dynamics like this.
 The rate that progress can occur toward the global optimal is diminished given
an the insistence of maintaining group coherence.