I've read Cannery Row and liked it. I like the books from Steinbeck in general.
What is the name of the biography from the Doc? "Beyond the Outer Shores" ? Is
it recommendable? -JochenSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Steven A Smith <sasm...@swcp.com> Date:
10/25/19  16:53  (GMT+01:00) To: friam@redfish.com Subject: Re: [FRIAM] John
Steinbeck in the 21st century ...On a
      recent pleasure/work trip I *re*visited Monterrey CA and Cannery
      Row which lead me to *re*read Steinbeck's Cannery Row which lead
      me to read something of a biography of the Doc character in his
      novel (and the movie) for whom the prototype was Ed Ricketts...
    Beyond the Outer Shores was written roughly 15 years ago,
      recounting Ricketts' life and career.  I knew that Steinbeck was
      a good friend of Ricketts but I was not aware of how much work
      they did together, including a summer of kayaking in the Sea of
      Cortez which yielded the data for the book they co-authored by the
      name "Sea of Cortez".   I was also unaware that Joseph Campbell
      spent his formative (adult) years in the company of both of these
      mens (and more to the point, Ricketts).   The author of this
      biography credits Ricketts as being highly influential in the work
      of both Steinbeck (beyond Cannery Row) and Campbell, and credits
      him with leading the transition from traditional biology focused
      on taxonomic approaches to identification of collected specimens.
      Ricketts approached collecting and identifying (mostly marine)
      species as well as writing them up in his famous trilogy on the
      topic in the context of a newly emergent field of "ecology".   He
      was simultaneously under-appreciated due to his lack of formal
      education, his lack of academic affiliation whilst also being a
      highly prolific commercial collector/supplier of specimens to the
      same community while identifying a huge number of new species
      (perhaps only recognizing the subtle differences based on habitat
      and foodweb relations) within his purview (the range of the
      Pacific coast along the North American coast from Bering Sea to
      Panama).
    On 10/23/19 3:39 PM, Jochen Fromm