Prof West comments on carbon offsets - "I can't see exactly how my money
actually does something other than line someone's pockets; and it feels a
whole lot like spitting on a forest fire.  There must be a better way to
spend my funds."

Quite a few years ago i calculated my ecological footprint. Even with all
the cool stuff* :-) i was doing, there was still significant impact. And a
good part of that was flying occasionally. I had also heard that offsets
were sketchy, and that some folks said they would just encourage people to
use more fossil fuels.

After digging into it for a while I found a couple organizations where the
projects are third party certified. The one i use is TerraPass. It costs me
about $15 a month to offset more carbon than i consume. And it goes to good
projects. Perfect? No. Continuously improving? Yes. What would happen if a
few million concerned about climate change signed up? Wow.

One reason I do as much as i can: kids, nieces, nephews, and the nature
that i love so much. And i agree that waiting for government to act is
futile.

I still do a lot of cool stuff and actually manage some land with climate
in mind (which seems like the next step up).

And i continually look for ways (like Project Drawdown) to be more
effective.

             Curt

* year round biking, very low auto use; high efficiency home insulation;
setback thermostat; no ac; purchase wind energy; eat local food (mostly
plants); educate those who are interested.