IIRC very badly as was MacOS was held back by...games of all things. But
IIRC Adobe was quickly onto apples because picky people liked how it
handled colours. That is compared to Windows 3.1 and 94(?) lol and yes Dad
is a hero. LOL and yes I am biased.
Pagemaker ? wowsa that's a name from the past! LOL.
The reason why games didn't help Apples (then) uncertain future, as well
was because kids (teens) was  who pestered John, Chade, Kyle, or Karen to
get a new computer. Apple didn't  have that for a long time, not allowing
clones up to a 2 year golden renaissance  years later also hurt them. BeOS
at the time was more macos then macos.. So you had a glorified printer and
webpage publisher that'd cost 5-7k+. Compare that to the PC world a 900$ pc
was keeping pace with apple, steve jobs and his ego. That when Chad was
done with homework, or kyle done writing a report. They might sign into a
BBS to play bolo, or a MUD.
Apple had to sell the UI and UX.

Sufficed  to say Dad was up all night  (almost literally). cursing at  "the
yapping dogs" and yelling "***** ing hell steve[the steve jobs kind] what
now!, oh would you like me to pull a rabbit out of my **** while I'm at it,
we need to give it a ipadress so it's adressable by postscript!" . But him,
Steve Caserous eta all did it! and now the now speech isfamous speech.  And
Dad doesn't think he's a good programmer still. lol. Eh well not all heroes
were capes, He's a Hero IMO.
Get him to tell you about the time he proved you as long as a device has
some sense of network addressing, you can get it to do almost anything,
including drive monitors.  Or when him and Ben Stalts pranked SkunkWorks
Sun with upside down displays using nothing more than NeWS's postscript,
scripting code.

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam