On 6/5/23 12:24 PM, glen wrote:
I try to be careful about my allusions to "openness". I attribute (perhaps wrongly) the openness of science to Critical Rationalism (Popper, but better described by David Miller). Good (and bad) ideas can come from *anywhere*.
The "problem with having an open mind is that just about anyone can pour just about anything into it" ?
Even those miracle people like FGJ Perey can come up with bad ideas. My (false) dichotomy between nonsense and abductive triggers might be problematic. But that's just a distraction. The real point is about the interstitial spaces *between* models, not the models or the ground they cover.

I think this is what I was trying to gesture/allude to with the "superposition"  of models...   they are intrinsically "incompatible" else they would be all part of the same model or "meta-model", no?   But how to characterize these "implied spaces"?   I think we spoke offline of implied spaces and spandrels recently?

A novelist/friend of mine (Walter Jon Williams) from ABQ wrote his version of it 20 years ago?  A lot of great ideas in there, but no answers to the James/Husserl superposition I don't think...

Maybe H and J first have a "learning session" with NLP and in fact convince one another of their complementary spaces/viewpoints... a sort of "Gift of the Magi" updated for the cybernetic era?  Maybe I should ask GPT4 to "write a short story on the theme of GoM using James and Husserl as the main characters but in the style of Stanislaw Lem's /Le Cyberiad/?"

   Aristide, a semi-retired computer scientist turned swordsman, is a
   scholar of the implied spaces, seeking meaning amid the accidents of
   architecture in a universe where reality itself has been sculpted
   and designed by superhuman machine intelligence. While exploring the
   pre-technological world Midgarth, one of four dozen pocket universes
   created within a series of vast, orbital matrioshka computer arrays,
   Aristide uncovers a fiendish plot threatening to set off a nightmare
   scenario, perhaps even bringing about the ultimate Existential
   Crisis: the end of civilization itself. Traveling the pocket
   universes with his wormhole-edged sword Tecmesssa in hand and
   talking cat Bitsy, avatar of the planet-sized computer Endora, at
   his side, Aristide must find a way to save the multiverse from
   subversion, sabotage, and certain destruction.

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam