I agree that our "average" (restaurant) food is in fact pretty weak...without even mentioning "fast food".  We have plenty of healthy/good food options IMO but it requires some work to find and usually comes at a premium.  The areas we recently traveled through were definitely a "food desert/swamp" for the most part. I appreciated the food we experienced in France and Belgium and Germany and Netherlands (not so much England/Ireland) and suspect that the "average" food was maybe healthier than our "average" but I didn't feel that there was that big of a difference, but then we eat vegetarian and fresh food where possible so maybe there is less difference there?  Or maybe I just don't know "really good food".  When eating out we lean toward Indian and Thai and Vietnamese but I wouldn't know authentic from otherwise there... My daughter is a fitness/nutritionist coach in Denver and has some pretty strict ideas of what "healthy" food is (they are carnivores so that expands the range of issues and options)...  I do get the feeling that European food regulations are much stricter (or more clear, less muddled by industry lobbies?) and I for one am thankful for your leadership in that area.  I suspect that 99% of the vast swaths of agriculture I just drove through is heavily GMO and heavily chemically managed...  I'll add a footnote that despite collecting a LOT of bugs on the hood and mirrors of our vehicle it was a fraction of what I remember from the "old days" We are very much in new "silent spring", though I felt the same was afoot in Northern Europe when we were there in 2022... not nearly as many birds and insects as I'd expect?

When I was in NZ in 2000 they had just transitioned from "virtually nothing but boiled meat with boiled starch" options to a range of "asian fusion" options which I really enjoyed.... but was quite excited to have some good New Mexico Green Chile when we returned after a month!  We felt the same returning from EU in 2022 and the midwest just now...  but it is generally agreed that Green Chile is addictive (in the same ways as many chile/curries might be in Asian cuisine?)

- S

On 9/3/23 4:14 PM, Jochen Fromm wrote:
Well, I still believe there is a gun problem in the United States, yes. Definitely. Just recently a police officer fatally shot a pregnant Black woman in the parking lot of a grocery store in Ohio after she refused to exit her car. And Ohio is not even a red state, right? It is also well known that the US has substantially more mass shootings than other countries. This is one reason why I do not want to travel to the USA at the moment - South Africa also does not feel safe to me after various reports in the last months about missing tourists.

The other is the lack of good food. In Europe and Asia there is such a variety of good restaurants and healthy food. In Germany and Great Britain not so much, except in the larger cities, but in the Mediterranean countries like Spain, Italy, Greece and Israel the food is awesome. In South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and Japan as well.

-J.

-------- Original message --------
From: Steve Smith <sasm...@swcp.com>
Date: 9/3/23 8:59 PM (GMT+01:00)
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Science Fiction Books

Jochen -

I thought of you more than few times on my long walkabout through Red/Purple-state 'murrica...  mostly your concerns a year or two ago about traveling to the US "because gun violence".   I was in the heart of "gun country" through this trip and saw a few artifacts of that which would naturally be *very* disturbing (methinks) to someone not already innured to it... but not nearly as many as you might expect.  On the other hand I just saw a news item that Canada and many other first-world countries have in place "travel warnings" for not the US proper, but many of the more egregious "red states".   I believe you may have already made your 'murrican sojourn so the point may be moot... but I couldn't help thinking "how would Jochen see this?" as I stumbled through a landscape of bison, hay bales, corn fields, motorcycles, strip malls, and gun shows.

I have read "Highway of Eternity" from Clifford D. Simak this weekend, one of the books from the golden age of science fiction which is comparable to "The city and the Stars" from Arthur C. Clarke and "The end of eternity" from Isaac Asimov. Both belong to my favorite books. Modern authors don't write like this anymore. Their books are often gloomy and depressive, and do not span millions of years. What is your favorite science fiction book? Will the AI breakthrough in large language models lead to more optimistic science fiction books again?

Back on topic:  I grew up on a lot of "Golden Age" works/authors which includes Simak/Clarke/Asimov of course.   I would claim that this time was naturally one of "Utopianism" that came with the rapid development of industry/technology/science.  I think the Dystopianism ramped up with PostModernism and Cyberpunk.   I'm a big fan of Cyberpunk (esp.. Gibson/Sterling/Stephenson/Cadigan/etc.) and *some* post-Apocalyptic works... now almost exclusively "CliFi" (Climate Fiction), but I get your yearning for "the good ole days".   I'd say Elon Musk grew up on "too much Utopian SF" as well and (unlike me) hasn't outgrown it?

My *favorite* golden-age author is Jack Williamson <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Williamson> who I've mentioned here before and had the distinction of being somewhat elder when he published his first work at age 20 (1928) in Hugo Gernsback's first-of-kind Amazing Stories (1926).   I feel like he hit his stride after WWII where he had been a (civilian, not military due to age) Weatherman in the Pacific and reacted to a dawning self-awareness of the flip side of techno-Utopianism (exemplified by Hiroshima/Nagasaki)...   His (re)entry into publication after a long hiatus (during/after WWII) was With Folded Hands <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Folded_Hands>, a reflective dystopian view of techno-utopianism as well as work presaging Asimov's Robot series as well as a plethora of concepts like Borg/Cylon/Replicant/Terminators/Cybermen/Sentinels, etc... and of course all of this was preceded by Lem's Trurl and Klapaucius (wizard-robot constructors) and the Hebrew Golem (and Frankenstein's Monster and... and and.)  He wrote over 50 novels ultimately in his 98 year long life as well as myriad short stories, novellas and a 3 year run of a comic strip (early 50s)... He also penned a reflective autobiography late in life (70s) but with nearly 20 years worth of career following that!  He taught writing at Eastern NM University well into his 90s as well.

For the most part I'm thankful to be beyond the flat-character cardboard-cutout, misogynistic, stoicly independent/capable (white-male) hero-worship classic SF tropes but I hear your interest in more positive grand narratives that the Golden Age also carried.  For the seminal Epoch-spanning humanity I offer Olaf Stapledon's "Last and First Men" (1930) and "Starmaker" (1933).  The former spans 2 billion years and 18 human species...

Robert Heinlein is the avowed Master of Human Chauvanistic technoUtopian/Libertarian fantasies which even satisfies some of us reformed/anti-Libertarians sometimes.   Many of his more minor novels are a fun romp in near-future techno-utopianism (e.g. Moon is a Harsh Mistress) as well as epoch and dimensional spanning works such as /Time Enough for Love /and /Job/ (respectively). /Stranger in a Strange Land/ stood up well next to Herbert's /Dune/ in the 60s to satisfy Hippies and non-Hippies alike.

Larry Niven's /Ringworld /series are pretty far-flung/futuristic/optimistic epochal.  He does post-Apocalyptic well too (e.g. /FootFall/, /Mote in God's Eye/)

I did enjoy Simak's work "back in the day" and his 1968 "So Bright the Vision" gestured toward what ChatGPT is today.

A.E. Van Vogt offers some great classics as well... /The Worlds of Null A /and /Weapons Shops of Isher/ stand out.

Poul Anderson simultaneously created/celebrated and lampooned the canonical pulp hero with his Nicholas van Rijn characters in a series of works and his /PsychoTechnic League/ is a Future History to rival Asimov's /Foundation/ series.

I know you asked for "_*A*_ favorite" but I'm not so good at narrowing such things down...  hope you made it through my romp of recommendations and at least one is useful!   If you lived closer (same continent?) I would bequeath you a few boxes of pulp from that era <grin>...

- Steve

Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p
Zoomhttps://bit.ly/virtualfriam
FRIAM-COMIChttp://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
archives:  5/2017 thru presenthttps://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
   1/2003 thru 6/2021http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/