Jochen -

My reflections on "how would Jochen see this?" during my cross-country trip this summer wasn't intended to diminish your concerns about gun safety/violence in the US... if anything I was seeing my own "backyard" through the eyes of others (yours) who have not been innured to the (threat of) violence that is quite widespread here in the US across many regions and demographics. If there is a point to be made it is that our "casual" and onesey-twosey shootings, including those initiated by our law enforcement is at least as much of a problem as the multiple-shootings that seem to come with various expressions of intolerance (racism, homophobia, etc.) and general frustration/desperation (caused by an otherwise dysfunctional/disaffected society for many).

The wide availability (and dissemination) of "weapons of war" (and the ammunition for them as well as semi-auto handguns with significant clip capacity) in this country is a huge problem in my opinion... not just because of how often they get used (inappropriately by their nature) but because of the general posture and tenor of interpersonal (and civic) relations.   Law enforcement has to be more suspicious of individuals in public encounters given that any given citizen might well be carrying a (highly) deadly weapon equal to or exceeding the capability of their own (on their hip, or in their car).   Similarly, the average citizen must also consider the possibility that a given disagreement could abruptly escalate to a shooting incident.    It wasn't that long ago (decades?) that interpersonal gun violence was mostly restricted to the execution of a financial crime (including drug deals) or (sadly) domestic disputes (often spouses but sometimes parent/child or sibling/sibling), but now it seems that political differences have become equally popular reasons for shooting one another.

A really good (bad) example of this is fresh in our area:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/us/conquistador-onate-albuquerque-new-mexico-unrest.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/09/us/conquistador-statue-stirs-hispanic-pride-and-indian-rage.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/world/as-a-sculpture-takes-shape-in-mexico-opposition-takes-shape-in-the-us.html

The most recent event of less than a week ago seemed to involve a ?concealed? handgun produced and fired by a counter-protestor who had been haranguing the (mostly) Native American "protestors" who were rather *celebrating* a delay in placing the Onate statue. (the shooting victim is recovering but was in critical condition after being shot in the abdomen at point blank range).   No specific mention is made of whether the shooter had been displaying the weapon or keeping it entirely concealed during the ongoing confrontations.   My personal observation of the videos at the moment of shooting suggests it was specifically concealed in his waistband *under* a hoodie.  The local law enforcement had been present earlier and I believe had intervened in earlier altercations he had generated... it seems unlikely they would have left the scene had he been openly displaying a weapon at that time... but who knows?   Also likely that those he claimed "threatened him" would not have been as aggressive had he been displaying a weapon (for better or worse)...

The statue in question had been removed from a nearby location after the 2020 conflict over a similar statue in Albuquerque where another anti-Onate protestor was shot by a "counter protestor".     The very same statue was vandalized in 1998 not long after it was first installed by removing the right foot of Onate who is infamous for many atrocious acts during his time as Conquistador/Governor in the area which included cutting offthe right foot of Native men <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoma_Massacre> that were not massacred during his bloodiest act among many.  It isn't clear if the shooter (with an Hispanic surname) had a specific "Hispanic Pride" motive in confronting the Native protestors, there is plenty of online evidence that he is a proud MAGA guy and previously been "talked to" by the FBI for threats he had made (online?)...

There is a battle underway between our Democrat Governer and a large contingent of pro-gun legislators, industry and citizens after she tried to supercede the State laws allowing "open carry" of firearms in *most* public venues.   She issued a temporary order trying to limit such <https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-mexico-mayor-calls-legislative-debate-after-gun-ban-2023-09-13/> in one county after several children were killed in the Albuquerque by stray gunfire... as the linked article indicates it was overturned by a federal judge based on "2nd amendment rights".

So *yes*, the US, even/especially this sleepy little corner of the country has a gun problem which is evidenced by the amount of shooting going on.   "Breaking Bad" might well exaggerate or hyperbolize the drug-related violence we have in this region but it isn't completely off-base either.

FWIW, there has been a significant outpouring of (financial) support for the victim.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-jacob-johns-recover-from-terrorist-shooting

I will also admit that most all I know of violence on individuals in modern Europe comes from watching Kubrick's Clockwork Orange and books/movies about Nazi Germany and Stalinist-Era eastern Europe...