I like the "listening" ideation offered, I *have* used the temperature/tactility mode of holding my hand on a P-Trap to "feel" how the water flows... vibrations convolved with "coolth"...  usually filling the sink partway and holding the p-trap in my hand while I pull the plug and "feeling" for warm/cool spots and vibrations implying flow patterns.

Very hard to calibrate, very intuitional and maybe just a ritual to go through while I wait for my intuition (or the lye-based organic-gunk-dissolver to do it's work if/when I use such a thing) to catch up with the things I can imagine measuring overtly...   I have not put in nearly the requisite canonical 10,000 hours unclogging drains but I'm much better at intuiting what they need after 60 years of practice than I was say 5 or 10 years into a lifetime of recalcitrant drains.

Toilets are nothing more in some ways than a p-trap themselves and they generally do exhibit vorticity when they flush (well). When fighting a recalcitrant toilet,  one of the first hints I have that the plug hasn't fully abated is that no vortex forms, even if the water level does subside (slowly)...      I believe (but have not verified) that the water-flow *into* the bowl is designed to promote vorticity while the bulk of the work is the *suction) caused by an abrupt overflow of the column of water leaving the back of the toilet's built-in P-trap?