Wow, the young Steve Jobs and Owen on the same stage, together with Andrew
Hertzfeld and Bill Atkinson. I didn't know he knew all of them. Has he got
Apple shares as compensation back then? Apple shares from 1984 must be worth a
fortune now.-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Stephen Guerin
<stephen.gue...@simtable.com> Date: 1/30/24  9:55 PM  (GMT+01:00) To: The
Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>,
"Wedtech@Redfish. Com" <wedt...@redfish.com> Subject: [FRIAM] 0 years ago today
- Our Owen Densmore as a leading star on stage with Jobs unveiling the first
Macintosh The 1984 Macintosh Ad shown during the Jan 22 Superbowl teased the
Jan 26, 1984 introduction of the Mac at the  Apple Shareholders meeting (I
don't have the video).

Jobs did a demo and then a panel discussion with 8 members of the software and
hardware team  The whole presentation including the developer panel was
repeated 4 days later at a Boston Computer Society meeting. Our Owen Densmore
is one of those 8 as the software engineer lured from Xerox to work on WYSIWIG
printing and embedding a software rendering engine in the printer itself.
here's the time codes of these
discussionshttps://youtu.be/1tQ5XwvjPmA?feature=shared&t=1336 – Jobs explaining
the printerhttps://youtu.be/1tQ5XwvjPmA?feature=shared&t=1741 - Owen
introductionhttps://youtu.be/1tQ5XwvjPmA?feature=shared&t=2379 - Randy
Wigginton nods to Owen’s printer
workhttps://youtu.be/1tQ5XwvjPmA?feature=shared&t=2683 - Printing question
answered by Jobs and Owenhttps://youtu.be/1tQ5XwvjPmA?feature=shared&t=3352 -
Owen gets up to get a floppy disk
:]https://youtu.be/1tQ5XwvjPmA?feature=shared&t=3744 - Owen comments on the
Mac’s multi-tasking abilitiesOwen left Apple to join Sun in the last half of
the 80s and worked on NeWS - postscipt-based windowing system.  NeXT would
later adopt instead of QuickDraw for its windowing system.When Jobs was at
NeXT, he gave this talk at MIT Sloan School ~8 years later. In the talk, I find
his observations interesting esp wrt to how important printing and desktop
publishing would be for the Mac and they didn't predict it. When we did the
Macintosh, we never anticipated desktop publishing when we created the Mac.
Sounds funny, because that turned out to be the Mac's compelling advantage,
right? The thing that it did not one and a half or two times better than
everything else, but four or five times better than anything else, where you
had to have one. We never anticipated it. We anticipated bitmap displays and
laser printers, but we never thought about pagemaker, that whole industry
really coming down to the desktop. Maybe we weren't smart enough.But we were
smart enough to see it start to happen nine to 12 months later. And we changed
our entire marketing and business strategy to focus on desktop publishing, and
it became the Trojan horse that eventually got the Mac into corporate America,
where it could show its owners all the other wonderful things it could do.Apple
has Owen to thank for that!Redfish, btw, was an Apple VAR in the early 90s
helping commercial printers to prepress - digital scanning, digital halftoning,
color separation, digital imaging (early photoshop), plate-ready film printing,
and page layout (QuarkXpress and PageMaker). Of course, I didn't know Owen yet
- I would first meet him at the 2000 Complex Systems Summer School where we
were both students from the BusNet. I was from BiosGroup and Owen from Sun R&D
Labs.Mad respect for your changing the world, Owen! And you ain't done yet.
 stephenguerin@fas.harvard.eduHarvard Visualization Research and Teaching
Labmobile: (505)577-5828
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam