That's an important part of being an episodic personality:  History will teach
us nothing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> On Behalf Of glen
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2024 8:54 AM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: [FRIAM] provenance

She Was Falsely Accused of Cheating With AI — And She Won’t Be the Last
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/student-accused-ai-cheating-turnitin-1234747351/

That is an old article. But what interests me is: "Then she began gathering
evidence that she’d written the brief herself."

It strikes me that the best way to give evidence that you actually wrote
something (or generated any kind of [cough] content), is to show its evolution
from start to finish. For things like code and text, it seems obvious to simply
use a revision control system. That can include something as irritating as
Track Changes in Word, Git, or whatever. But for blobs, it seems more
difficult. Most tools like GIMP have an Undo function, but only for that
session. If you close the project then re-open it, you can't undo what you did
before you closed it. It seems reasonable to store some sort of trace, even if
it's prohibitive to allow for full reversibility.

A second-best way might be to keep either all your old content so you can
extract patterns from it and, then, show how some one instance of it matches
your induced "signature". Or you could throw away or assume old content will be
lost and keep a defeasible inference database, continually trained up on your
content, handy to give such pattern-oriented evidence. But this sort of
diachronic database has the same flaws bemoaned in the article (e.g. TurnItIn's
AI detector). Plus, some of us want to doff such histories once and awhile,
make ourselves anew.

But if we were to encourage people of, say, age 10 to store their works, we'd
have to teach them how to index their portfolio. We'd have to teach library
science at a very early age. I can't even find notes I took a week ago, much
less crap I wrote decades ago.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam