That's how I felt about Hanson's latest post:

Why Crypto
https://www.overcomingbias.com/p/why-crypto

I suppose the basic point is that crypto has generated parasitic people just
like older financial instruments, but the parasites crypto generates are
*younger* and more energetic than older, slower instruments. So the diversity
of the new canals sloughed out by these younger parasites will be higher than
that of the old parasites.

Hanson's smart enough to think about (if not empathize with) those on the other
side of the asymmetry, the hosts/victims. But the post relishes the beauty of
the consequence of their suffering, largely leaving out the (perhaps short
half-life) suffering of the victims.

I kinda feel the same way when watching my friends "euthanize" bumble bees to
study them ... or in videos like this:
https://static-content.springer.com/esm/art%3A10.1038%2Fs41586-022-04507-5/MediaObjects/41586_2022_4507_MOESM6_ESM.mp4
 I can't help but wonder how it must feel to wear one of those implants while trying to
compete with the dominant for food. Is the science really worth the (short half-life)
discomfort of the mice? If so, then you too might succumb to Effective Altruism. >8^D