Hi Waldek,

I don't think the DeltaComplex to SimplicialComplex coercion is crucial so if you are not happy with it then it could be omitted.

The main reason I wrote it is to use in a regression test for SimplicialComplex to DeltaComplex which is much more important.

so:

SimplicialComplex --> DeltaComplex --> SimplicialComplex

always gets back to the same place for all the test cases I can find. However I accept that:

DeltaComplex --> SimplicialComplex --> DeltaComplex

does not get back to the same place in general and will fail to work for the type of cases that you mention.

I read somewhere, probably Hatcher, that SimplicialComplex and DeltaComplex are not isomorphic but that DeltaComplex is very marginally more general. However I get the impression that, in most cases, there is a triangulation in a higher dimension that does not repeat node and edges in this way. I have not come across an algorithm to do this and the approach that you suggest looks very interesting.

It seems to me that algebraic topology is a big area of mathematics and requires a lot of code. Is it realistic for it to appear, fully formed, in FriCAS in one step? I would really help me to get the basics in FriCAS which would give me the confidence to spend more time on the details.

I really appreciate the work you are doing on this.

Martin

PS I think the above comments also apply to DeltaComplex --> CubicalComplex