On 01/29/2017 01:41 PM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
Well, e.g. Todd-Coxeter is pretty much domain-specific; one could also
choose to interface a stand-alone coset enumeration routine
like ACE (see http://staff.itee.uq.edu.au/havas/
and https://gap-packages.github.io/ace/). Producing toy implementations
of coset enumeration is of course fun, but is limited to (self)teaching
purposes---I'm saying this as someone who uses coset enumeration in
research quite a bit.

Hi Dima,

I'm sure the approach of gluing together mature implementations is very powerful but if I wanted to work that way I think I would work with SAGE.

I like the approach of having implementations richly interconnected and written in a common language (SPAD) which is designed for mathematics and is statically typed.

I guess its good that both approaches exist and we can choose what is best for each application.

I also think it is good to introduce what you may consider toy implementations. I assume most mature implementations must have started small. If we took the above approach to its most extreme then would anything ever be added to FriCAS?

Martin B