On 21/03/17 11:26, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
On 03/21/2017 11:50 AM, Martin Baker wrote:
Yes, but Boolean can only return true or false, there is only confusion
in logics where variable/proposition names can also be returned.

Look at what I have done to help with the evaluation of the the
signature conditions.

https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/blob/master-hemmecke/src/doc/api.spad#L160

I haven't implemented a general graph with /\ and \/, but rather my
elements are always in "normal form", saying that I don't have an
expression tree, but the elements are always stored as DNF's. There is a
top and bottom element, called 'true' and 'false', but my
DisjunctiveNormalForm does not work over Boolean, but over a general set
S. You can let S be Integer, (or Symbol) and you would have disjunctive
normal forms with variables.

Look a bit further down, I use DisjunctiveNormalForm(SExpression).

https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/blob/master-hemmecke/src/doc/api.spad#L377

Shouldn't ILogic() be similar to DisjunctiveNormalForm(S).
In ILogic you have no such parameter S, but rather restrict to Symbol.
To me it looks a bit like you are just creating an SExpression where
only IMPLY, AND, OR, NOT, OTHER can appear as opType (and I cannot even
create "OTHER".
What do you think is the advantage to DisjunctiveNormalForm(Symbol)
(except that DisjunctiveNormalForm is currently only in my private branch)?

I guess this relates to another recent thread about how FriCAS domains are usually represented in a simplified form? I appreciate that principle but I'm not sure about the consequences in this case.

So in the same way that a polynomial might be stored as a sum of products (I realise its more complicated than that in FriCAS) a lattice might be stored as a join of meets.

Different logics would need different rules, for instance 'Law of excluded middle' does not apply to ILogic, and so any use of 'not' has to be treated with care.

A Boolean algebra is a full lattice but this does not apply to Heyting algebras which may have say bottom but no top like BoundedJoinSemilattice

So I'm not sure these types of logics could be stored in a simplified form like this?

The impotent thing for me is that I would like these structures to link to the stuff I'm doing in algebraic topology, using ideas in: "Topology Via Logic" Vickers 1989.

Im not sure if/how this could be done but I would like to avoid making changes at this stage until I've a better idea about how this could be done.

Martin B