On 30/03/17 16:48, Bill Page wrote:
I have been playing with defining a language package for atom to
provide syntax highlighting and other edit functions for spad.  I have
a few simple things working. Is anyone else interested in using atom
this way? Does anyone have more experience with doing this sort of
thing in atom? I think it could eventually provide a good modern
alternative to emacs mode.

I am curious, what are the pros and cons of using a hackable editor to do this rather than an IDE as Peter Broadbery is doing:

https://github.com/pbroadbery/aldor-eclipse
https://github.com/pbroadbery/aldor-idea-plugin

I am guessing that an editor is easier to start with but an IDE would ultimately be more powerful, is this guess correct?

Martin B