On 04/04/17 17:33, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
oldk1331 wrote:

I mean, if Waldek don't want to include this travis CI script for now,
you can set up a branch that does travis CI testing.

I is not clear for me what actually we gain from travis CI.
My understanding is that travis CI is run _after_ commit.
FriCAS tests should be run _before_ each commit.  So
much of testing would be redundant.  After commit tests
can catch things like forgetting to commit a file, but
that should be rare, show up quickly and be easy to
diagnose.  In principle we could gaim testing on more
platforms, but I do not know how well this would work
in practice.

Concerning including travis CI script: we have a few scripts
that are supposed to be useful for all developers in
'src/scripts'.  We have some other helper stuff in
'contrib'.  Then there are various helper scripts that
each developer creates when needed.  ATM travis CI
script seem to be in last category: personal tools.

I think it would be a good thing if this script were in FriCAS and all its cloned repositories. Then if someone modifies their repository and submits it as a patch at least you can see immediately that it passes some minimal level of tests. You may do other tests but at least this might cut your workload by weeding out dud patches without even having to look at them.

Martin B