On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 09:24:41PM +0200, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> On 5/6/24 20:29, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> > On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 07:33:13PM +0200, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> > > Who can guess what the output of (3) will be just from Section 1.3.2 of
> > > the
> > > Book?
> > >
> > > %%% (1) -> x1 := 1
> > >
> > >     (1)  1
> > >                                         Type: PositiveInteger
> > > %%% (2) -> x2 := 2*%; x3 := 100+%;
> > >
> > >                                         Type: PositiveInteger
> > > %%% (3) -> [x1,x2,x3]
> > >

> > Hmm, for me FriCAS produces expected result.  And while I now
> > have "insider knowledge" my expectations concerning previous
> > result did not chage compared to my first contact with Axiom.
> > What did you expect?
>
> The question is whether % refers to the value of the last line (A) or to the
> value of the last evaluated expression (B).
> Mathematica and Axiom use semantics (A), Maple uses (B).
>
> I expected (B), i.e. x3=102.

Well, 'x2 := 2*%; x3 := 100+%;' is a single expression, so really
no difference in this case if you say "expression" or "line".  In
fact, in files you may have multiline expressions, so saying
"expression" is more precise.

> I just say, such example should be added to the book.

I would prefer:

x1 := 1
x2 := 2*%; x3 := 100 + %

with explantation that the second line is a compound expression.

Maybe also

for i in 1..2 repeat x2 := i*x2

as example of Void result.