Unless otherwise noted all activities take place at the Baltimore
Ethical Society, 306 West Franklin St.  For more info call 410-581-2322
or check our web site at www.BaltimoeEthicalSociety.org

_/*THIS WEEKEND*/__/*
1st Saturday Coffee House: Feb 3  at 7 PM */_: Poetry ? Music? Open Mic
? Refreshments ? Free (donation suggested)
_/*Poetry Group Sun Feb 4, 9:30 am*/_
_/* Moveable Treats and Platform Sun Feb 4 10:30 am to Noon
Volunteers needed to help pack Movable Treats beginning at 12:15
*/_

/*_Sunday Platforms: Promptly at 10:30 am_*/  (See details below)
February 4 "A Life Story" /Fritz Williams, Leader/
**February 11*DARWIN** DAY* "What Did Darwin Learn About Human Behavior
from Observing Animals?" /Sharon  Kingsland,Ph.D, JHU,  /_Joint meeting
with Baltimore Secular Humanists_
February 18 "Pain and Ethics"/ Will Rowe, American Pain Foundation/
February 25 "3^rd Annual BESpeakoff" An oratorical contest for middle
school students.  /Gordon Stills, Facilitator/

_/*Other Activities*/_
Poetry Group Sun Feb 4, 9:30 am Sun Feb 18, 9:30 am
Eight Commitments Workshop # 4 Sat Feb 10, 6:00 pm or Sun Feb 11, 12:30
pm  Reservations required for Feb 10 meeting, with pot luck dinner.
Book Group Sun Feb 11, 9:30 am Sun Feb 25, 9:30 am
Newcomers' Meeting Sun Feb 25, 12:15 pm

_/*Snack Schedule*/_
    Feb 4:     A to F
    Feb 11:   G to L
    Feb 18:   M to R
    Feb 25:   S to Z
Please bring a snack on "your" week (based on the first letter of your
last name).

_/*Platform Details
*/_
February 4: "A Life Story"

Fritz Williams, Leader, Baltimore Ethical Society

When he describes his responsibilities as Leader of the Baltimore
Ethical Society, Fritz Williams always mentions storytelling.  "I began
telling stories," he says, "to illustrate the points I was trying to
make in my talks and presentations.  But increasingly, stories are
becoming the main thing, the essence of what I have to say, and the
analysis and explanation that precede and follow them are mostly
commentary."  This talk is a close-up look at Fritz's understanding of
the central place of the story.

Fritz Williams serves as primary speaker, teacher, pastor, and
organizational leader of BES.  Fritz also performs weddings and
commitment ceremonies.  He has worked as a parish priest in the
Episcopal church, and as a writer and producer at public TV stations in
Harrisburg, PA, and Detroit, MI.

February 11: "What Did Darwin Learn About Human Behavior from Observing
Animals?"

Sharon Kingsland,Ph.D., Chair, Dept. of History of Science and
Technology, JHU

It is commonly thought that Darwin insulted humans by bringing them down
to the level of animals. But we should also recognize that Darwin's
discussion of human and animal evolution in The Descent of Man (1871)
did not so much bring humans down as it raised animals up, showing them
to be capable of emotions and thought and in general being a lot like
us.  Darwin also vehemently rejected the notion that his theory
supported the idea that "might makes right" or that evolution means we
are inherently selfish.  To the contrary, he believed that the rise of
ethical standards was adaptive from an evolutionary standpoint.

Sharon Kingsland is a historian of science and professor in the
Department of History of Science and Technology at Johns Hopkins
University.  She specializes in the history of modern life sciences,
especially the history of evolutionary biology and ecology.  She teaches
an undergraduate course called "Debating Evolution" which explores
various controversies in evolutionary biology from Darwin's time to the
present.

February 18: "Pain and Ethics: An examination of factors contributing to
the under treatment of pain"

Will Rowe, Executive Director, American Pain Foundation

Everyone knows pain.  Fortunately, most of the pain we experience is temporary.
 But even our brief experience with pain is enough to
convince us that the state of being in pain is one of the worst states of
being.  Imagine being in pain every day, relentless, unrelieved pain.
Over 50 million people in America suffer from chronic pain even though the ways
and means to treat much of this pain exists.  Why is
there such neglect?  There are many contributing factors.  Some of the
important ones inhabit the realms of ethics, policy, and cultural
beliefs.  I will articulate some of these and issue a call for support and
action regarding public policy that supports the neglect of pain
patients.

Will Rowe has worked in social service organizations since 1980 and has
also been an Instructor of Philosophy at Universities in Europe and the
US.  The American Pain Foundation which is a national, independent
non-profit organization with the mission to improve the quality of life
of people affected by pain.

February 25: "3^rd Annual BESpeakOff: An oratorical contest for middle
school students"

Facilitated by Gordon Stills

The BESpeakOff is an outreach project intended to give local students a
chance to express themselves before an intimate audience of strangers.
Students win trophies for themselves and for the school of the first
place winner, as well as applause and encouragement from their parents,
friends and members of the Society.  Lemmel Middle School took 1st Place
in 2005 and Lombard Middle School won in 2006.

Gordon Stills is a retired Baltimore school principal.  He is also a
poet, a dramatic reader and narrator, and a small businessman.  A
46-year member of the Baltimore Ethical Society and former board member,
he is currently serving the Society by conducting weddings and other
ceremonies as an Ethical Humanist Officiant.