1) Many will remember the wonderful platform given by Joe Pettit in Jan
2006 on "The Politics of Racial Inequality" in which Joe  argued that
racism should be understood both as a problem of laws and policies that
perpetuate racial inequality (housing, education, criminal punishment,
etc.) and as a stigma associated with African-Americans that prevents
any significant challenge to the political realities that produce racial
inequality.  This Sunday, you have another opportunity to listen to,
meet, and talk to this insightful thinker.  We have asked Joe to talk
about the principles underlying his views, which he only hinted at last
year.

April 22: "*Five Rules for Social Justice*" Joe Pettit, Asst Professor,
Morgan State University
    Joe will discuss his five rules: 1) Differentiate between
unfortunate and unjust situations. 2) Avoid misanthropy. 3) Consider
injustice first, justice second. 4) Think like politicians. 5)
Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity.
    *Joe Pettit* is Assistant Professor in the Department of Philosophy
and Religious Studies. Joe's research focuses on religion, ethics, and
public policy. He is co-chair of the Religion, Public Policy, and
Political Change Consultation of the American Academy of Religion. His
writing can be found on the web at
www.thecommongood.org/showfile.asp?file=5_26/pettit122206.html on the
death penalty and on affordable housing at page 15 of
www.thecommongood.org/thecommongood/FaithandtheMetropolitanChallenge.pdf

2) Ethical Culture lives in our relationships and our relationships are
based on communication.  Despite its name, Nonviolent Communication is
applicable to ordinary day-to-day communication with our family,
friends, coworkers, and acquaintances.  Last year we had a platform on
Nonviolent Communication; next week you will have an opportunity to
really get into it.  A pot luck dinner with Jone will follow.

    Workshop: Communication for Connection

      Using techniques of Nonviolent Communication as developed by
      Marshall Rosenberg.

    Sat Apr 28: 12:30-6pm

      Facilitated by: *Jone Johnson Lewis *

    We'll explore and practice the basics of communicating for
    connection, a way of relating to one another so that everyone's
    needs matter and conflict is handled peacefully and with respect.
    The workshop uses some simple techniques and concepts, and lots of
    practice. If you're new to Nonviolent Communication, you might want
    to read one or the other of these two books by Marshall Rosenberg:
    Nonviolent Communication or Speak Peace in a World of Conflict (see
    http://noves.org/nvc/).

Requested donation $10 per person.

3) Jone is one of Ethical Culture's leading Leaders.  Her platforms are
always good and often great.  Don't miss this one next Sunday.

April 29: "*Beyond Right and Wrong *" Jone Johnson Lewis, Leader, N.
Virginia Ethical Soc.

    Ethics is about deciding who's right and who's wrong, who's good and
who's evil. In our Ethical Culture tradition, ethics is about relating
to others by attributing essential human worth, right or wrong. Jone
will explore this paradox and suggest some practices that build our
ability to act more ethically without focusing on right and wrong.

    *Jone Johnson Lewis*, Leader of NoVES since 1997, has also served as
the Leader of our Chicago Society and as Interim Exec. Director of the
AEU.  She's a UU minister as well as Ethical Leader, and worked in
business and computers before changing careers. Jone's many interests
include women's history, web site development, the Transcendentalist
movement in American history, and Nonviolent Communication.