Upcoming BES activities:

While many at BES don't get into the upcoming celebration of commercial excess, it is hard not to feel the mood of those around us. Our next two platforms attempt to focus on those things from our environment that appeal to the best in us -- sharing, community, and food.

Sun Dec 23 Winter Festival Platform:  /Sharing and Community
*Mittens, scarves, hats, and other warm clothing/ for people of all ages will be used to decorate our "Mitten Tree" and then will be donated to Viva House to warm the homeless. Whatever you bring make sure it is NEW. /*Sun Gifts/ are low cost presents likely to bring a smile to someone's face (like the Sun). All presents will be pooled and then randomly redistributed to those in attendance. So don't make them too big.

Sun Dec 30 Annual Pancake Breakfast:  /Eating and Community
*Pancakes with maple syrup, coffee, and tea will be provided. /You can supplement them with conversation and whatever other food and drink you like.

Sat Jan. 5 at 7:00 pm 1st Saturday Coffee House, Special Benefit, Water for the Wells
Poetry . Music . Refreshments . Open Mic . Donation Requested
Baltimore Indymedia writes "Water for the Wells brings together Baltimore poets and musicians who are organizing benefit performances to raise $1,200 to build a single village well in Mali, East Africa. This may only be the beginning, says organizer Marcus Colasurdo." Performers include BES favorites Karla Mancero and Brian Langston, as well as Mike Monroe, Suzanne Diggs, Alan Barysh, Jasaga, and more.

(The BES Board will be holding an all day Board retreat on Dec 29. Members are welcome; call Dick Katz for more info and to make sure there is room for you.)

SUNDAY PLATFORMS IN JANUARY (See our newsletter or web site http://www.baltimoreethicalsociety.org/Calendar.php for speaker bios) Jan. 6: "Taking Laughter Seriously" Fritz Williams, Leader, Baltimore Ethical Society Laughter is possibly the most contagious form of pleasure. It spices up relationships. It brings down pretensions and puts people at ease. It works like medicine in times of sadness, anxiety, and grief. On the most basic level, it is a way of coping with the ultimate absurdity and purposelessness of life. Fritz Williams includes laughter and a sense of humor in his year-long overview of the good life. Jan. 13: "Even the Black Sheep Has a Shrine" Mike Franch, Ethical Culture Leader My brother died August 5, 2006. We had only reconnected about six years ago, after years in which his whereabouts were unknown to the family. He was the family black sheep. Now, as he was slipping away, I discovered that his circle of friends, coworkers, and neighbors held him in high regard and deep affection. There was more to David than I had realized. There's always more to other people than we realize. Our religion addresses part of that when it talks about worth and dignity. It should also provide a ladder so we can, in the words of Felix Adler, "surmount those walls which surround the shrine" in the other. If we don't try, he said, we ourselves are spiritually dead

Jan. 20: "Belated Justice for Nazi Resisters" Susanne Riveles PhD
Susanne Riveles will report on contemporary research findings about Nazi crimes against humanity. Only since the fall of the Berlin wall are new Nazi-Justice records accessible to researchers in a unified Germany. She will describe the organization, work and persecution of the largest Berlin based resistance organization fighting the Nazi regime on numerous fronts. The members of the group were driven underground and acted under the permanent threat of being arrested. Over 200 members were caught, tried by the infamous Peoples Court, and executed in the last months of World War II.

Jan. 27: "The Politics of Presidential Primaries" Richard Katz, Professor of Political Science, JHU By this time the two major parties will have had primaries or caucuses in Iowa, New Hampshire, Michigan, and Nevada. In addition, Republicans will have had a primary in South Carolina and county conventions in Wyoming. Our own president, Dick Katz will help us read the presidential tea leaves; describe how the primary process affects our democracy; propose a better primary process; and mention some things we might consider when Maryland holds its primary is on Feb 12.

OTHER ACTIVITIES IN JANUARY (See our newsletter or web site http://www.baltimoreethicalsociety.org/Calendar.php for more info)
*Poetry Group Sun Jan. 6 & 20, 9:30 am
*Moveable Treats Jan. 6, 10:30 am to Noon
*Board Meeting Sun Jan. 6, 12:30 pm (all members are welcome)
*Community Circle Jan. 13 & 27, 7:00 pm
*Newcomers' Meeting Jan. 27, 12:30 pm